Article Index

Postcode for SatNavDT6 6HB
O.S. Landranger Map reference193-444937

Symondsbury

Symondsbury

St. John the Baptist

 

 

This is a wonderful mellow church in a most attractive village setting.  It is essentially C14 and constructed from golden-coloured sandstone in cruciform with a central tower, supported by great arches.  To the right and high up on the chancel arch is a stairway, which once led to the rood loft, from where more stairs lead to the upper part of the tower. The wagon roof was constructed by shipwrights from West Bay.  Note, the squints (or hagioscopes), the C18 pulpit and the Victorian font, which came from Bedfordbury Chapel in St. Martin's Lane, London, when it became redundant in 1920.  Also, the three-sided altar rail. The organ was a gift in 1920 to commemorate the loss of two sons from one family within three years of each other.