The church, dedicated to the murdered king, suffered damage from time to time due to its proximity to the castle. It was particularly badly abused by Cromwell’s men during the English Civil War when they mounted a gun on the tower and stabled their horses in the building, even using the font as a drinking trough. Lead was stripped from the roof, cut and rolled-up to make bullets. When the war was over, Parliament made a grant of £50 towards making good the damage. (see Nether Compton)
However, the large and magnificent 15c tower has survived, as have its splendid gargoyles. The rest of the present building is by T H Wyatt of 1859 – 60 in the early 13c French Gothic style. The reredos is by G E Street (1824 – 81) and was added in 1876, during the time he was building his masterpiece at Kingston. There are wonderful Purbeck marble columns topped with foliated capitals and the modern communion table set below the altar is most appealing.
There is an interesting black marble font with a 1947 cover by Martin Travers. Outside, high up on top of the gable at the east end of the chancel stands the most attractive 1931statuette of St. Edward, by F H Newberry.
- << Prev