The church has two fonts. The plain cylindrical C12 font was turned up by the plough in a field in West Chaldon, near the site of a now lost church or chapel at Chaldon Boys (bois probably) and replaced in the church in 1897. There is evidence of a hinge mounting that would have supported a lockable cover to deter the unauthorised use of Holy Water for sacrilegious purposes. The second font, although rather splendid, is clearly Victorian and presumably installed around the time of the restoration. There are several examples in the county of ancient fonts being thrown-out by the Victorians, who felt their design was inappropriate (see Kimmeridge and Beaminster).
Note the attractive organ with pipes to the ground. Also the wooden pulpit with a curved stone stairway to it and a truly magnificent central heating radiator.
- << Prev