Oborne New Church
This high Victorian church complete with an apse and single bell turret occupies a rural setting apart from other buildings. It was designed by Slater and completed in 1862 after a decision was taken to leave the 'old' church because it had been allowed to decay so much as to make restoration unrealistic. It was subsequently demolished, leaving just the chancel (see Oborne Old Church)
The 'new' building is impressive and enjoys large windows, which allow light to stream in. The chancel arch is moulded with different stone in alternate courses, but perhaps the most striking items are the brilliant white stone pulpit and font; unmistakably High Victorian.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©