Postcode for SatNavBH21 3RQ
O.S. Landranger Map reference195-976984

Corfe Mullen

St. Hubert

This beautiful little seven hundred year old church nestles on the south side of the busy A31 Dorchester - Wimborne road. 

Hutchings tells us in his 'History of Dorset' that it was a simple C13 two cell building consisting of a nave, chancel and C14 squat brown stone western tower. There is a delightful mellowness about it all and it is not surprising that Sir Frederick Treves, the eminent Victorian London surgeon and writer about all things Dorset, described it as "a church of warm colours, such as a painter in water colours loves". 

At some point a north chapel was added, perhaps C18, however the brick built south chapel is definitely recorded as having been built in 1841 during the incumbency of the Revd Plumtre, who was the first rector after the parish separated from Sturminster Marshall.

The church has a very pleasing, if unusual, interior created by the generous size of the north and south chapels, which give rise to a feeling of space and light in the crossing. There are mid C19 galleries above what was the south chapel and another supported on slim spiral cast-iron pillars over the west end, where the splendid organ is found. Above all are the sumptuous plastered wagon roofs adorned by numerous painted beams and bosses.

There is an octagonal C15 font of Purbeck marble and a pulpit in the entrance to the north chapel.

This is a delightful and obviously much loved little church, which hugely repays a visit.

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©