O.S. Landranger Map reference183-824186

Church imageMargaret Marsh

St. Margaret

This is a small hamlet in Blackmore Vale country.  The name probably derives from one of the Margarets who were C14 abbesses of the nunnery at nearby Shaftesbury, and 'Marsh' simply refers to the soggy land.  The dedication to St. Margaret may refer to St. Margaret of Antioch, who was a popular saint in the medieval period with around 200 English churches bearing her name. 

The church is almost entirely from the 1872-3 restoration by Crickmay, although the pleasing tower, with Somerset tracery on the bell-openings, is C15.

The church is locked.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©