Postcode for SatNavDT10 2BG
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-723129

Church imageStock Gaylard

St Barnabas

The little church of St Barnabas rests on the lawn of and only short distance from the magnificent 18c Stock Gaylard House.  The whole suite of buildings is surrounded by about 100 acres of very beautiful parkland, especially noted for its herd of deer.

The present building with a barrel roof is a simple, but most attractive structure designed by W. J. Fletcher and built in 1884.  There are no pews, just chairs and the music is provided by a grand-piano.   On the southern side, there is a 13c effigy of a Crusader Knight, cross-legged, in a heavily cinquefoiled recess.  It is thought that he may have founded the original church.  At the back of the building on the northern side is a memorial to Captain Farr Yeatman in the form of a bronze relief by Henry Pegram.  He died in 1917, in sight of Jerusalem, in order to save the life of another and is buried in a military cemetery there.

 

 

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©