This is a hidden church found at the end of a long country lane and sharing one of the most delightful sites in the county with a mellow farmhouse. This is a very small church at just 35 by 14 feet with seating for 40. There is a simple bell-cote at the west end.
This is essentially a Norman church, but like many it was altered in C14 and 15 and there have been later restorations. The font is Norman. Note, a very important wooden panel, partly carved and partly pokerwork, representing the scourging, the crucifixion and rising of Christ. Sir Fredrick Treves in his 'Highways and Byeways in Dorset' suggests that it may have been recovered from one of the ships of the Spanish Armada wrecked on Chesil Beach in 1588.
The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©