Postcode for SatNavSP5 4NG
O.S. Landranger Map reference194-536003

Beer hackHooke

St. Giles

As is so often the case, this church has been altered or restored throughout the ages. The nave is essentially C16 with C15 windows. The chancel was added in 1840 when the opportunity was taken to restore the chancel arch. The impressive tower was added to a design by G R Crickmay of Weymouth, who was also responsible for the chancel. There is a splendid barrel roof to the nave. The chantry chapel on the south side is entered through a wide and generously decorated arch. The area houses the electronic organ. The hexagonal font is C15. 

The most important artifact in the building is the superb sculpture of St Giles executed by Benjamin Grassby. He was a superlative London craftsman who made his home and workshop in Powerstock after falling out with his employer. He entered the statue in a class at the Dorset Industrial Exhibition in 1878. It won its class and he was awarded a silver medal. Grassby's work can still be found in 45 Dorset churches. (See East Holme, North Poorton, East Lulworth, Longbredy, Morden and West Lulworth to name just a few)

An interesting church well worth a visit.

 

The Trust gratefully acknowledges images and text by Robin Adeney ©